04 June 2010
Technology and relationships
"The very technology that is meant to bring people together is increasingly separating us from those we need to attend to most."
As a human who spends a lot of time with a guy who loves his iPad, MacBook Air, PS3, and Nokia whatever, I can relate to this article. Maybe too much.
Last May I watched an old married couple celebrate Mother's Day at a restaurant. The husband spent about 50% of that lunch sitting across his wife, spooning food into his mouth while he read an e-book.
A few days ago an acquaintance posted this status message on Facebook: "...is pretending to be busy with something. My two honeybees [husband and son] are busy with the iPad and iPhone apps, grrrr!" After a few people replied, she commented, "I am sooo tempted to break the iPad and iPhone, hehehe!"
Though I haven't broken something out of anger in a long time, there are moments when I think I'm very close to doing so. I bite my lip and fold into my insides...but I wonder how long I can keep this up without breaking me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment