14 March 2012

Anatomy of a Marriage - the 17th version

Stolen from her Facebook. I hope I'm not violating any laws or rights.
So so so so beautiful.

Anatomy of a Marriage - the 17th version
by Rica Bolipata Santos

Ever since we turned 15, I've added to this list every year. So here's the 17th lesson, in celebration of our 17th year!

So here is my summary. 15 lessons from a middle-aged marriage.


1. Adjust your stride.

2. Love and need his solitude as much as you love and need yours.

3. Know the difference between personality and weather-related behavior.

4. Have sex, often.

5. At that moment when an argument asks your heart to grow bigger, just say yes. Don't be naive. Of course, it will be painful.

6. Small kindnesses add up. As do small petty actions. Choose the kindnesses.

7. Not everything is about love. Most things are not about you.

8. Never look to the other for your source of happiness. That’s a pretty dangerous path. Your happiness is in your own hands.

9. Your primary relationship is with yourself.

10. It takes a village to make a marriage work. Let people in!

11. Always remember the good stuff. Here’s why I married him- because he knew the way the wind and the sun moved. He places chimes and thermometers and most things were they belong best. It is the sexiest thing, ever.

12. Remind each other about God.

13. Make each other better parents. Parenting is not a war between you two.

14. Grow a garden, together. Or grow your own garden and ask him to sit with you once in a while, in your garden.

15. Be happy with what you have. There is nothing better on this earth than loving someone completely. Above all, practice gratefulness.

16. Hold each other often in small ways-hold hands while walking, smoothen backs while watching tv, kiss suddenly while on facebook, place hand on cheek during mass as your sign of peace, place head on shoulder once in a while. Never let your bodies forget each other. It has its own version of memory.

17. Be grateful for the ability to love deeply, in deep time. Not everyone can swim and survive in this mystery.

4 comments:

Mia (Savor Everyday) said...

Love love love this.

Funny, I actually did #1 as probably one of the first things I did. Literally and figuratively :)

Thanks for sharing...I want to re-post!

cyberlaundry said...

Hahaha! I wanna see you WWHHPSSP (you remember what that means? I hope I spelled it right, hahaha)

kaye said...

Thanks for posting! Super nice :)

(hmm I think you mean HHWWPSSP? hehe)

cyberlaundry said...

OHMYGAS, Kaye, you're right! I'm ulyanin na. Thundercats! Hahaha!