01 September 2011

Casualties of Mold

(I started writing this entry last 11 August 2011. Yes, painful things are hard to say out loud.)

1. DVD bookshelf (The Tower of Power)
2. "Foyer" table
3. Countless framed photos and artwork
4. A bag of cloth I was supposed to experiment on with Daisy the Sewing Machine
5. TV stand
6. The k2 Couch
7. A few DVDs (sosi ang mold ko; ang tinira yung ibang binili ko pa sa US)
8. About 90% of my book collection.

Number eight was the most painful. I did not cry when I threw out my old journals, photos and letters. But when I came back from the garbage chute and saw my practically bare bookshelves I did this whole dry-heave-slash-Toni- Braxton-in-the-shower thing in the middle of the living room. When Mom arrived the next day to pick up the dead TV stand I cried like a baby all over again.

I remember when and where I bought them, how I found them, what reading them for the first time felt like, what reading them for the umpteenth time felt like, where I brought them. It wasn't just the story of the book itself, it was MY story with them, you know? Sigh sigh sigh.

I have never been a fan of reading books on a laptop or iPad (even The Bourne Identity couldn't do it for me), but mold just might swing my vote the cyber-way. I've started reading up on the Kindle. We finally found ONE store that sells it in Greenhills (the place where you can supposedly find ANYTHING; so parang hindi patok ang Kindle sa Pinas), but the lady wouldn't let me turn it on because it was their only unit, so medyo pointless; I wanna see what the words look like!!

Anydahoo.

Lessons learned:

1. I don't really need a lot to live.
2. The stuff you hardly use (bags, shoes) are the ones that get screwed over. So use them or lose them.
3. There's nothing like fresh air.

But oh, my books! My books!

4 comments:

y-slaybelle said...

Anay attack made me less attached to paper. Also, losing books lent to a friend whose house was Ondoyed. (And losing books to people in general.)

Can show you our Kindle if you're in Ortigas on Tuesdays around lunchtime. :)

kaye said...

your books!! i would've cried like a baby too!

i have the kindle on my ipad but I still buy actual books :p i still like turning pages! however, i find it so much easier to carry a virtual book around with me because it isn't too heavy or bulky. but i also have the irrational fear about the kindle database crashing and i losing my books so i buy actual books of the ones i really really love to keep at home. :)

i can also show you the kindle on my ipad (i think it'll be roughly the same with the actual kindle) if i do run into you in makati somewhere. if it's a weekday, i'm sure to be carrying my ipad :p but what are the chances of that? haha :p

and lastly, here's a virtual hug for your books. :( waaah

dementedchris said...

Somehow I didn't connect the journal thing to the molds. But the books! I've had this comment box open for a while now, and I simply cannot find the words.

cyberlaundry said...

y-slaybelle: Anay + baha. Crap! Haaay. I may take you up on that show + tell offer!

kaye: sniff talaga! Syd has kindle thingie on his iPad, pero medyo masakit pa rin for me. Like I can see the rough edges (?) of the text. Thank you for the virtual hug!

chris: I know *blinking cursor blinking cursor*