03 January 2006

road trip

before going up north for some post-noche buena inuman i drove around alabang--and i realized that the reason why (apart from the crap-now-i'll-have-to-buy-P100-coffee-to-smoke-in-peace moments) going home to alabang saddens me is because my, ahem, province (ateneo 96: "you live in alabang? diba sa may bundok na yun?") has come to mean the absence of people for me.

de la salle zobel, university ave - still road hump-ful, but hardly recognizable (hi-tech na ang facade).

house in ma. cristina, home of fellow ex-gymnast - dark. and then i think, oh, she and her hubby are playing with their new son, continents away.

carpool house number 1. carpool house number 2.

and the house i grew up in, that we cartwheeled and had birthdays in, where we practiced plays, got drunk, smoked on the rooftop--facade super different. my special rooftop gone. the trees were taller. the streetlights still had the same...glow...that reminded me of so many nights coming home...

the church seems emptier on sundays--it's like there's a gap somewhere, like all the parents said to a particular age group, "get out of here. find your life out there."

and then i had coffee with the now super-small foxy ladies: manila chapter, drinks with efferets...and it was all good. people come and go; you get around yourself, but you'll always carry home inside you.

not for the first time i look back on all those years
not for the last time names will ring in my ears

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you know what? Love DOES hold old friends.

Y_slaybelle said...

A few days ago I took pictures of the house I grew up in and I don't feel connected to it anymore.

It's been taken over. Not that I'm sad or anything... I just feel like if I'm going to live there I'm going to have to demolish the thing and rebuild to make it mine again.

cyberlaundry said...

hey chris--it sure freaking does :) ashteeg ano? hope i see you this friday (ano nga ba ang plano?)

cyberlaundry said...

hey Y -- ako rin! gigibain kung yung ginawa nila, at ibabalik ang bahay! ...bay zee way, kelan tayo magkikita? :) :)

Mark said...

wow. now i'm sad coz i'm not sure if i'll ever see everything i held dear for the first 25 years of my life.

good thing is that i am starting something new that i know i'll cherish for the rest of my life

miss you guys! happy new year!!!

cyberlaundry said...

MARKY MARK! don't be sad. be glad. you're starting new traditions ekek! you're living your life, dear. with the one you love. and one day i will visit you! hafee new year :)

Anonymous said...

*sniff* I miss our Adelfa House. It doesn't help that Mudra keeps wanting to build and sell our houses. Buti nalang we have a lungga. Just think that the stuff we gave up (houses, clothes, shoes, books, VCDs) are making other people happy/happier.

Y_slaybelle said...

cyberlaundry (laundress?) - I'll make special trip to your area for you, set tayo date. :) Fridays are ideal syempre.

Anonymous said...

Yup, be seeing you this Friday. I'm kaladkarin naman though, so despite not knowing what the plan is, I'm all for it! Alam ko lang Sagujo (sp?) in Makati...