I've always liked that episode. As the blogger put it, 'Society believes that a childless, single woman is an unsuccessful woman.' Haaay. I'd like to add that it believes we are unhappy/unfulfilled, too.
Just the other day I read an article on some 'secret' that married people know. Although I believe that the well-meaning mother posted it to articulate the joys of motherhood, I thought it only underscored the rather judgmental notion that single people are shallow, ungrounded, and incapable of finding peace and satisfaction. We all have different life experiences, true, but no one segment of society has a lock on inner happiness. O, ha, pati ang comment naging nobela. :P
Chris, I salute you for saying this out loud and saying it so eloquently! Bravo.
May I add to this phrase "it only underscored the rather judgmental notion that single people are shallow, ungrounded, and incapable of finding peace and satisfaction" na they also think we don't need quality time or breaks for celebrations?
By this I mean mas mabigat/mas dapat i-respect ang hirit na "Di ako puwede sa date na yan, birthday ng asawa ko" vs. "Di ako puwede sa date na yan, birthday ng boyfriend ko"
And "Hindi na ako makikita ng anak ko" vs "Hindi na ako makikita ng tatay/nanay/kapatid/boyfriend kahit walang ako kikitain hindi ba dapat ako rin ay may quality time"
At parang...we're automatically more selfish? Eh choice naman nila yun, diba? The same way na choice ko naman ito ngayon?
Hay, naku, sinabi mo pa! I really resent being questioned for my leaves and vacations while my married co-workers can drop the My-daughter-is-participating-in-Linggo-ng-Wika. Teka lang. We've all earned those leaves. If you don't get hell for yours, I shouldn't either. You're right, suddenly we have to defend our choices to them, eh pare-pareho lang naman tayo dito. /may pinaghuhugutan LOL
And oh! Off-tangent na: I met Agay Llanera a month ago. Hello, small world!
cam, i want you to have kids na para may karamay ako sa challenges of motherhood. selfish na kung selfish! mwahahaha! i want the whole world to suffer! - agay
4 comments:
Teka, lemme get stoned with you. :P
I've always liked that episode. As the blogger put it, 'Society believes that a childless, single woman is an unsuccessful woman.' Haaay. I'd like to add that it believes we are unhappy/unfulfilled, too.
Just the other day I read an article on some 'secret' that married people know. Although I believe that the well-meaning mother posted it to articulate the joys of motherhood, I thought it only underscored the rather judgmental notion that single people are shallow, ungrounded, and incapable of finding peace and satisfaction. We all have different life experiences, true, but no one segment of society has a lock on inner happiness. O, ha, pati ang comment naging nobela. :P
Chris, I salute you for saying this out loud and saying it so eloquently! Bravo.
May I add to this phrase "it only underscored the rather judgmental notion that single people are shallow, ungrounded, and incapable of finding peace and satisfaction" na they also think we don't need quality time or breaks for celebrations?
By this I mean mas mabigat/mas dapat i-respect ang hirit na "Di ako puwede sa date na yan, birthday ng asawa ko" vs. "Di ako puwede sa date na yan, birthday ng boyfriend ko"
And "Hindi na ako makikita ng anak ko" vs "Hindi na ako makikita ng tatay/nanay/kapatid/boyfriend kahit walang ako kikitain hindi ba dapat ako rin ay may quality time"
At parang...we're automatically more selfish? Eh choice naman nila yun, diba? The same way na choice ko naman ito ngayon?
A friend posted this article on FB:
http://www.theage.com.au/comment/a-few-things-you-shouldnt-say-to-a-childless-woman-20130503-2iyj5.html
The first paragraph blew my mind. Can't believe somebody actually did that! Lupet!
Hay, naku, sinabi mo pa! I really resent being questioned for my leaves and vacations while my married co-workers can drop the My-daughter-is-participating-in-Linggo-ng-Wika. Teka lang. We've all earned those leaves. If you don't get hell for yours, I shouldn't either. You're right, suddenly we have to defend our choices to them, eh pare-pareho lang naman tayo dito. /may pinaghuhugutan LOL
And oh! Off-tangent na: I met Agay Llanera a month ago. Hello, small world!
hello, i'm mentioned here pala! hi, chris!
cam, i want you to have kids na para may karamay ako sa challenges of motherhood. selfish na kung selfish! mwahahaha! i want the whole world to suffer! - agay
Post a Comment