12 December 2008

Lessons learned at the ER

I am allergic to another drug (Arcoxia).
Who gets itchy? According to www.netdoctors.uk, between 1 in 100 and 1 in 1,000 people. Fun!

Once you get to triage, screw modesty.
Lift your shirt and show them all the "pinkish, itchy swellings on the skin, also called hives or nettlerash." It will spare you from a nutty two-hour wait. (When I finally got to the ER doctor at 2:00 a.m., she started freaking out at the nurses. "Dapat kanina pa yan! Bakit sya nasa non-urgent list?")

Now that I think about it, I am very, very fortunate (knock on wood) that my allergies only present themselves as welts and red splotches on my skin, and they stay away from my lungs, throat, and tongue.

Every time I wind up in the hospital and they have to stick a needle into me, the nurse and I play tug-of-war.
This time was no different.

Nurse: "Ma'am, ang liit talaga ng ugat mo."
Camille: "Oo, alam ko. Mag-w-wrestling tayo dito."
Cybs: "Pwede ba sa pwet nalang?"
Nurse (laughs): "Bukas-makalawa tayo dito kung ganon."

Five painful attempts later, the more experienced nurse replaced the first sweet-but-I-have-a-feeling-he-was-practicing-on-me nurse and finally got it in. I am now very tempted to tattoo the words "Insert 22-gauge needle here" on the back of my left hand.

I love my sister.
But I already knew that. :) She always says she's never around when something big happens. Early this morning, while waiting for me to wake up, she was. And I have a feeling she was a big comfort and help to those people.

But that's her story to tell.


1 comment:

Tibibord said...

What happened, you ate something nasty? Hugz.